Click to go to NEWFC homepage
 
 
 

Board Meeting with CNF – August 8, 2006

 

Approved -- Joint CNF-NEWFC Meeting

August 8, 2006

Meeting Minutes

Attending: Don Gonzales, Fred Way, Peter Forbs, Josh Anderson, Ed McFey, Tania Ellersick, Jim Parker, Phil Aune, Lloyd McGee (president), Betty Higgins, Jean Lavell, Russ Larsen, Ron Gray, Tim Coleman (secretary), John Eminger (treasurer), Peter Griessman, Shelly Short, David Heflick, Wes Boyd, Mark Curtis

Agenda:

1. Minutes Approval
2. Forest 5 year plan
3. FS Business Plan
4. Coalition Modeling harvest levels
5. Woods tours & harvest workshop / pairs work

1. Minutes: John/Tim – approved unanimously

2. 5-year plan: regular timber sales + WUI project in Ferry County. Typically timber sale volume is 26-28 mmbf is anticipated, but Ferry project would be in addition to that. Don passed out a sheet – containing additive calculation (32-38 mmbf). 2007 will be the first year where sales will not be sold in the year NEPA is completed – this is preferred by FS in order to build flexibility into their workforce schedule. What’s not shown on the chart are special projects, firewood or overruns (approx. 2 mmbf/yr). Some projects are split between years; reason is using same routes (who does what and where) causes overlap, layout and cost assessment difficulties.

---Question & Answer session:

Q: Is ‘07 plan based on budget? Yes. More money = increased capacity re volume.

Q. Malo-East Lake originally included Karamip, Aeneas and Lambert areas. A. Karamip has been dropped. Analysis area is a little under 10 K acres; a third of which is grassland. Part of the problem is data collection and completing the two decisions by spring. Adding Karamip would have made making that deadline problematic. $280K for East Lake (Ferry WUI #1) and $200K for Ferry WUI #2 – need to start designing #2.

Q. Will dollars generated in #1 & #2 go into #3? A. Doubtful any funds will be left over. CNF will document expenditures.

Q. Did additional funds equate to additional workforce? A. Yes.

Q. Is the lag time from decision to award any different than it was historically? A. Ideally NEPA is done a year in advance – which is not the case now (e.g. South Deep).

Q. What is most important in getting out projects? Is it current workforce capacity or desire to get “shelf stock?” A. Workforce location is a significant concern – costs increase as workforce gets moved around. RO is not happy with current CNF situation – costs are too high. Contractors are being used, but there too bids and bid award takes time. This is why “shelf stock” is important as it provides flexibility. NEWFC can help resolve this capacity problem.

-- Lloyd read a letter from Rick Brazell that pertains to letter NEWFC sent regarding timber sale volume.

3. Business Plan – Don handed out a paper “Best Guess – Not Proven Facts.” Three scenarios (40, 60, 80 mmbf/year) were researched, FLT debated it and Rick determined 60 mmbf is best. Republic is about 2K bf/ac, on wetter sites increases to 6K bf/ac. 40-60 mmbf is based on understory thinning prescriptions – no regen cut. 80 mbf requires regen cut to maintain over 20 year period. In October FS will hold brainstorming meeting to further vet this. What are some ways that FS can get things done faster? Rick would like one timber and one conservation representative to attend. Leadership team will assess costs and develop a business plan (by Feb. ’07). NEWFC / FS will determine how they can get 60 mmbf and take it to RO for approval. 60 mmbf will require an extra 30 FTEs over present most of these are NEPA and contract people. Present costs $132/mbf (40 mmbf), but with 60 mmbf (and extra FTEs) that would drop to $102/mbf.

4. Harvest Levels -- Lloyd discussed NEWFC Taskforce; purpose for its creation and objectives. Currently the Taskforce is analyzing potential timber yields. Harvest and wilderness recommendations will be made to CNF. Tom Pawley spent some time advising the Taskforce which was very helpful. Very tight timeline; expect NEWFC recommendation by early September.

5. Modeling Harvest Levels & Wood Tours – “Silviculture Data” paper handed out by Jim Parker. Concern raised that “trees per acre” needs to be added.

Workshops – various topics about management, and specifically South Deep, to held sometime in October TBD (likely early to mid - 12,13,14).

-- Action: Jim Parker will send out data regarding projects that have been appealed in the last 5 years.

NEXT MEETING OCTOBER 10, 1 PM, STEVEN CONS. DIST.